The Logic of English® Essentials curriculum is a complete course in the structure of written English that uses proven, research-based methods to teach students ages 8 to adult to read, spell, and write successfully.
Easy to use, engaging, and fun, Essentials improves the spelling and reading skills of all learners by providing linguistically accurate phonics instruction, spelling analysis, fluency practice, morphology and vocabulary development, grammar, and composition.
Essentials gives students the tools to understand the spelling of more than 98% of English words!
- Ages 8 to adult
- Three levels for up to three years of instruction!
- Greek and Latin roots
- Full-color Teacher’s Guide
- Easy to teach
- Engaging, accurate, and complete
- Discover the why behind English words!
Learn more about Essentials
For every learner and every teacher
Clear instructions and scripted lessons allow teachers, tutors, and parents to learn alongside their students, developing their own understanding of the structure of English as they teach. Multi-sensory instruction, a variety of activities, and three levels of spelling lists allow teachers to customize the curriculum for the needs of their students, paving the way to success in reading for all kinds of learners.
New 2nd Edition: It's even easier and more fun to teach your students the Logic of English!
What's new? (Take a tour!)
- Beautiful, clear, full-color layout
- 3 levels of spelling lists — use for multiple years and teach different ability levels together!
- 3 levels of grammar practice and vocabulary instruction, including new Greek and Latin roots
- New language and phonics concepts
- New guidance on scheduling
- A Placement Test and optional Pre-Lessons
- Short assessments in every lesson
The same core content taught in the original (2012) 1st edition of Essentials:
- Complete and systematic phonics instruction
- Clear, fully scripted lessons
- Phonemic awareness
- Accurate spelling rules
- Spelling analysis
- Morphology for vocabulary development
- Grammar and basic composition
Through engaging lessons, students learn logical answers to their questions about language and why words are spelled the way they are. Essentials 2nd edition makes it even easier to teach the Logic of English like a pro!
Beautiful, clear, full-color layout and expanded content make it easy to learn alongside your students, navigate the clearly scripted lessons, find answers to questions, and teach the Logic of English like a pro!
Three levels of spelling lists allow you to teach a variety of students together and to use Essentials for multiple years of instruction. Expanded vocabulary content leads advanced students into the fascinating world of morphology. New guidance on scheduling, a Placement Test and Pre-Lessons, and short assessments in every lesson help you find the right starting point for each student and customize your instruction as you go. (Take a tour!)
Volume 1 Complete Set - save 10%
Everything you need to teach the first half of Essentials.
- Essentials Teacher's Guide, Volume 1
- Essentials Student Workbook, Volume 1
- Spelling Journal
- Basic Phonogram Flash Cards
- Spelling Rule Flash Cards
- Grammar Flash Cards
- Advanced Phonogram Flash Cards
- Morpheme Flash Cards, Set 1
- Phonogram Game Cards
- Phonogram Game Tiles
- Phonogram & Spelling Rule Quick Reference
- Spelling Analysis Card
Volume 2 Set - Save 10%!
The second half of Essentials. Add the new materials for Lessons 16-22 and 23-30 to your supplements from Volume 1 and you're ready to go!
Optional Add-On Programs
The Essentials Reader
A reading comprehension supplement for struggling readers
The Rhythm of Handwriting
Cursive or manuscript handwriting instruction
A complete course in the structure of written English—for ages 8 to adult!
- A powerful remedial program for older students and adults who struggle with reading or spelling
- A comprehensive course in the structure of written English words for teachings students in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th to give students a strong grasp of the spelling concepts that govern 98% of English words, how morphology shapes spelling and reflects meaning, the parts of speech, and sentence-level grammar rules — before they complete elementary school!
- May also be used for students in any grade, age 8 to adult, who would benefit from greater understanding of English spelling, grammar, and vocabulary
- Teach one lesson per week to complete Essentials once through in one year, or move more slowly at whatever pace works for your students and schedule.
- Three levels of spelling lists, grammar practice, and vocabulary instruction in each lesson allow you to customize the level of challenge, teach students at multiple levels simultaneously, and use the curriculum for multiple years.
- Teach the full 30-lesson curriculum two or three times for deeper mastery and new content with the three levels of instruction!
- Recommended as the written language portion of ELL instruction
- Strong readers will gain a deeper understanding of why our words are spelled the way they are, gain new insights into vocabulary and word origins, and be able to explain the reasons for English spelling to others.
- Learn more about using Essentials in different grade levels and settings
Shop for Essentials now!