Reading for content. For children who have mastered the phonograms, spelling rules, and concepts in Level B.
In Foundations C the world of words opens further as students master an additional 27 multi-letter phonograms and 14 spelling rules. Building on the reading, spelling, and writing skills they have developed in levels A and B, they practice their skills in the context of comprehension activities and read multi-syllable words within controlled paragraphs. By this point in Foundations the concepts students have learned equip them to read short paragraphs and multi-syllable words without sight words or guessing, and the eight nonfiction readers allow them to practice finding the main idea, locating key words, and applying other comprehension strategies as they explore multi-cultural and STEM topics.
Handwriting in C
Since students learn to write all the letters in A and B, level C guides them in the transition to being able to read bookface text and copy it or respond to it in handwriting. This skill and the connection between printed and written text must become automatic in order for students to be successful in future academic work, so in the C copywork exercises students read bookface text and then copy it in the handwriting style they have learned.
If you feel that a student needs extra handwriting support, you may want to purchase our optional Copywork Supplement for Foundations C, which includes manuscript and cursive versions of the copywork pages.
By the time they complete Level C, students will:
- Know all 74 basic phonograms
- Be familiar with 15 spelling rules
- Be able to identify six reasons for a silent final E
- Read compound words
- Read two-syllable words and have a strategy for reading three-syllable words
- Know the meanings of common affixes such as UN-, -ED, and -ING
- Be able to understand and answer simple comprehension questions about age-appropriate nonfiction texts
- Be able to identify keywords
- Have experience with writing keywords about a familiar topic
- Be familiar with finding the main idea
- Be able to read and follow simple directions
- Know 344 new high-frequency words
- Read words with a silent L such as walk, talk, and could
- Be able to identify the schwa sound in a word
Foundations C includes:
- 48 Lessons (40 instructional lessons and 8 Assessment and Review lessons)
- 8 engaging and informative nonfiction readers that explore everything from robots to rickshaws.
- Dozens of Phonogram, Spelling Rule, Comprehension, and High Frequency Word games.
To teach Foundations C you will need:
plus "reusable resources" used throughout Foundations (one-time purchase in the A-B Set):Phonogram and Spelling Rule Quick Reference
Rhythm of Handwriting Quick Reference (cursive or manuscript)
Rhythm of Handwriting Tactile Cards (cursive or manuscript)
Phonogram Game Cards
Basic Phonogram Flash Cards
Phonogram Game Tiles
Spelling Analysis Card
Foundations C must be taught after students have completed level B. It builds systematically on the many multi-letter phonograms, spelling rules, and language concepts introduced in that level and does not work as a starting point. Older students who are new to Logic of English may begin at Essentials.